Clinton Cunanan, lead vocalist, of ANOTHER LOST YEAR, corresponded with Bluebirdreviews on their new record, Better Days, and had some strong words about the future of music. Some of the answers here may surprise you!
1) What keeps you guys working cohesively as a band?
We eat a lot of glue. We have the same goal, and we all can see light at the end of the tunnel, either that or we are all blinded by some thing that we think is the light.
2) Your new record seems to blend various metal styles. You were compared to many bands (Seether, Creed, 3 Doors Down, Staind, Three Days Grace) both contemporary and classic. Who are your music influences?
All of those, what a lucky guess! Throw in some Breaking Benjamin, Conway Twitty, and Kansas.
3) Who does most of the songwriting for the band?
I do, not any reason, and I feel the next album will definitely be more group oriented. Kind of like dodgeball.
4) Talk to us about:
Lish Rimer. She was great on this album!
Well you just summed it up. Talk over. She is fantastic, amazing voice.
5) We love backing harmonies in metal bands, how do you make it all work?
We gargle with each others sweat. I think 3 part harmonies are of the past, and we are trying to bring it back.
6) Touring the entire US, have you noticed the fans from different regions have different musical tastes?
Absolutely, it's super weird how from town to town music tastes change.
7) What do you want the up and coming bands to 'get' about music today?
Rock needs a true revival, it's time to get back to the basics. Grass roots fan building, connect on a personal level with your fans, after all, they're the real reason we get to do this.
8) What do you think a new band starting out should know about the music industry?
It sucks, and you should become a doctor, it's a lot easier.
9) What do you think about modern day radio and the future of music sharing?
Radio needs to be slapped and grounded. The music industry is hurting, radio's job is to expose new music, ahem, they're all going to find themselves out of jobs if they don't start finding the reason they all started in radio, their love for music.
Music sharing is a way of life these days, we don't care how you get the tunes, get your a** to a show.
Read the album review for Better Days here: Another Lost Year: Better Days
Are you a Led Zeppelin Fan?
Visit this author's blog at: http://ledzepufpinterviews.blogspot.ca/